Survey: Leadership Perspectives on Health Care, 2011
Change. Alter. Amend. Call it what you wish, Experienced Resources’ recent survey of health care leaders indicates that change continues to dominate their world. However, the size and scope of these changes require more than the proverbial belt tightening or simply doing more with less. Not only do they include all areas of the organizations, they challenge even the basic assumptions of how work is done, how patients are cared for, and how success is measured. The paradigms are shifting, calling for unprecedented creativity, courage and transformational leadership.
A summary of the Experienced Resources’ research:
- The survey included 140 healthcare leaders, majority CEOs (41%).
- Most participants belong to the baby boomer generation (77%).
- Most respondents work in a healthcare system (51%); independent community hospitals (23%) and independent medical practices (22%).
- There is an even distribution of where respondents work - from greater Minnesota (44%), the Twin Cities metro (40%), as well as some located in both areas (15%).
- The typical work week for a large proportion is 51- 60 hours per week (44%) and many work over 60 hours per week (12%).
- Over half of the respondents plan on serving less than 7 years in their current position, evenly split between those who plan on 3-5 years (29%) and those who anticipate 5-7 years (27%).
- An examination of the top three priorities shows that financial performance rates the highest. However, the priority rated the number one priority by the greatest number of respondents is leading th eir organization th rough change.
- A top issue that emerges through respondents’ comments revolves around people. Specifically, comments suggest that leaders are thinking about how their organizations can help staff do their work differently and make the needed changes; how to recruit, retain, and develop staff; and how to hold people accountable to higher standards.
Click here for Survey Executive Summary
Leadership Perspectives PowerPoint Presentation
Click here for a PowerPoint presentation for leaders to access as a tool for leadership meetings. The presentation contains a few slides that provide some interesting findings and exercises that can stimulate discussions around succession planning and leading change.
If you’d like more information or slides, please contact Mary Ellen Wells at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the News
Experienced Resources places seasoned health care execs in short-term assignments.
Twin Cities Business
by Fran Howard
Damian Martin and Mary Christensen
The following interim assignments and projects were initiated in March and April:
New Business Assessment and Development
Director of Nursing
Vice President, Physician Services
In the Community
Experienced Resources was a Bronze Sponsor at the Women’s Health Leadership Trust Annual Forum on April 5. Table attendees: Judy Beck, Judy Treharne, Terrie Wheeler, Candace Simerson, Bobbe Teigen, Edith Swiatek, Maggie Lindstrom, Mary Ellen Wells and Mary Christensen.
Minnesota Hospital Association’s Healthcare Executives’ Institute, March 9 – 11, Experienced Resources' speakers Richard Sturgeon, M.D., "Getting into the Psyche of the Physician" and Mary Ellen Wells, "Leadership Perspectives on Health Care". Mary Christensen attended.
Experienced Resources was a Bronze Sponsor at the Minnesota Medical Group Management Association’s Winter Conference, March 1 & 2. Mary Christensen and Mary Ellen Wells attended.
This newsletter is intended to be interactive, and we welcome your input. If you have suggestions for topics or would like to submit an article, please feel free to send us your thoughts to info@FlexGeneration.com. The goal is to provide content from a wide variety of health care sources including Experienced Resources’ talent and clients.
You are receiving this e-mail to
because of your relationship with Experienced Resources. You may unsubscribe if you no longer wish to receive our e-mails.
PO Box 201005 | Bloomington, MN 55420 | 952.358.6143 | Fax: 952.888.7150 | info@FlexGeneration.com